Monday, May 7, 2018

Payback by Rambunctious Beagle

Canine Avenger

This happened over 50 years ago. I remember it as if it happened this afternoon. Two of my cousins were older than me. I believe one was 5 years older, the other 7 years. At that age, they were not interested in hanging around with a much-younger kid. The older boys made it very clear that I could not toss the football with them.

Indeed, I felt left-out and angry.

The boys were busy tossing the ball back-and-forth, which caught the attention of my grandfather’s beagle. Murphy was a playful and sometimes mischievous dog. My cousins did not want to be bothered with the dog, either. He was my ally.

While tossing the football, one of the older boys dropped it. That was all it took. Murphy leaped into action. The little dog was fast. Before they could react, he grabbed the football. It was half his size. Undaunted, Murphy ran for the woods, pursued by my cousins.

The sight of it was hilarious. A small dog with a large football zipped to the woods, chased by the two older boys. They pursued him into the woods but they could not catch him. I was enthralled! Dog-gone revenge! They deserved it.

Murphy came back about an hour later. The boys were miffed. They searched but never found the ball.

Some years later, up in the woods, I saw an odd shape on the ground. It was almost black, flat and mildewed. The football was still up there after all those years.

Remembering how angry my cousins were as they chased Murphy, I still gloat. It is well over fifty years - closer to 60 than 50.
Please take the time to enjoy my other articles on this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment